Monday, January 14, 2013

Brace Let

Resolution Two: Accessorize

This bracelet. Look! At this bracelet.

Or should I say brace because there's no let about it.

The story:
I don't actually, officially know the story behind this bracelet. I have many clues, though. It was my aunt Marilyn's. She and my uncle Geoff lived in Southern California in the 70s and 80s. I know they visited Mexico at least once with my grandmother. This bracelet looks Mexican, wouldn't you say? My grandmother had an identical bracelet. So a safe conclusion would be that it was a souvenir from that trip to Mexico.

My first instinct is to dislike this bracelet. It's very large. And kind of folksy. Archeologist jewelry if you will. But I like throwing little curve balls in my wardrobe. I wore a particularly professional outfit the day I wore that bracelet. Gray slacks with an aqua tie-collar shirt, tucked in and my black booties. I will wear it again and take photos next time.

I'm on my second week of accessorizing. It's very satisfying. It takes no more time in the morning, yet I feel more–put together, whole, with it, on the ball–what is the phrase I'm looking for? I feel more mature without feeling old. Age appropriate. I feel responsible. All from adding an extra touch to an outfit.

1 comment:

Alana said...

i agree completely. i find myself going in phases with jewelry where i seem to forget i own other things because all i wear is the same 5 or so items.

i need to take this journey with you!