Sunday, February 18, 2007

Back from Tallahassee

Before leaving today, Oscar and I stopped at the Museum of Fine Arts (aka MFA, aka MoFA). They had a show by Ray Burggraf. Now that I've read his statement, I don't hate it quite as much. A for concept. C- for aesthetic. They look like they belong in a Miami, FL hotel circa 1991. Bright colors crossed with hard line minimalism. There was also a Maximalist show. Some of it was cool. James Barsness, Grant Miller, Reed Danziger. James Barsness has a piece called "Hum." It's blue ball point pin on gessoed canvas. It looks like a giant, elaborate notebook doodle. Grant Miller was very elaborate and graphic. I guess elaborate could go without saying at a maximalist exhibit. Reed Danziger was perhaps my favorite. From far off, the paintings look like stains, but there are all these amazing organic patterns within all that. I also appreciate that he has his own website.
Oscar showed me the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory. They make/use really big magnets there. I can't process all that they do with the magnets, but they're very useful in physics experiments. They have their own electric substation and a 3000 gallon tank of cold water to cool the magnets because they produce so much heat that they'll melt themselves without it.
I'm just a linking fool.
I need to research all the professors I may meet in my attempt to have an informed opinion on all these towns I'm visiting.

No comments: