Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I tend to be a pessimistic daydreamer. Lately, I've been daydreaming about the work dynamic when old girl starts back. I'm comfortable here. Honkered down even. I keep creating scenes where she's bossing me around or plotting to have me fired. In a fair world, if one of us had to leave one day, it should be her, right? She left. I wasn't hired under the impression that my job was at risk of her return. I just hope her presence is the only thing to change. She'll have her own work area, very separated from mine, so I maybe I won't even have to know she's here. But then my doubts strengthen. What if my boss, who's very keen on her return, favors her and makes me the neglected orphaned step-child he's stuck with? What if she renames all my files "Untitled-1," "Untitled-2" "Untitled 3" and so on to the end of my files?* Why would she do that you ask? Because I can think of it. She could take the same exact lunch time as I do so I have to watch Passions instead of What Not to Wear. I mean, apocalyptic much? She and my boss could form a little whisper huddle and discuss hugely vital goings-on, while not doing anything about it and assuming I know. And then when customers wonder where their stuff is, they'll be directed to me, but I'll be lost and yelled at.

In reality, I'm not too shook up over her return. I see it as neither positive nor negative. But neither positive and neither negative do not wrangle my worries.

*Random side note: In an effort to illustrate how catastrophic such a re-titling would be, I thought I'd check the info on my external and see how many files are there. It didn't tell me, but now I really want to know. There are 337 folders, very few of which don't contain sub-folders. So I'd guess we have at least 500,000 files. Catastrophic.

1 comment:

Alana said...

is it sad that the main thing i took out of your post is that i also agree that what not to wear is better than passions?