Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It seems there's a proper way to do things when it comes to grad schools. It involves exploring their website. But you may want to pack two weeks worth of food and water. University web pages are impossible to figure out. But I suppose they can't anticipate every person's specific questions. So, this is me apologizing to the air for the way I handled my visits. I should have contacted the graduate coordinator, but I went straight to the professors. I know, I know...BIIIIG faux pas. But kiddos, you need to know what you're looking for when arranging visits to grad schools. Questions to ask, people to contact. Each website is different, but start there and find the department you're interested in. Contact the graduate advisor. He/she can arrange a meeting with a professor or current student. That's the step I skipped. Once you're there, you'll need to know the questions. One: Money? What's tuition? What kind of fellowships and assistantships are unavailable and what are their terms? Then you need to explore the facilities. Do they have all the equipment you want/need? Can you live without what they may lack? There are a million more questions, but they really come spur of the moment. Also, if you're an art student, I recommend bringing along a selection of pieces to give as Thank yous.

No comments: