Saturday, April 21, 2007

I finished Rapunzel.
That's it.
It's been so long since I've done laundry that I have only one pair of jeans that I can wear with good conscience. They're almost 8 years old. I bought them my junior year of high school at Old Navy. They're from a time before stretch. Also, they have a stain from clay screen filler, which looks like blood.

And true to form, I'm not saying anything about something that happened this week. Except to say that I'm not saying anything. And to mention a discussion I had with a friend. He's very annoyed at the outcry from the nation over 32 people. He feels that we identify with them, so we can mourn them more easily. That their lives are worth more...than the 100-500 Iraqi lives lost each day. His point is valid and I agree. I don't want to discount people's reactions to VT, but there is a much bigger picture. Then, in my most sensitive snark, I told my friend that the reason VT is so popular is because it's easy to find maroon and orange ribbons. And even if you did find red, green, black, and white ribbons, people would probably just think you were Rastafarian. We then lamented the marketability of tragedies in the US. I guess I said something. Sorry.

Last thing: I'm not a nihilist. That's a completely random and independent comment.

No comments: